God's Love We Deliver
166 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10013
- 6 Gala, Fuji or Honeycrisp apples (about 3 pounds total), stems removed
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup uncooked millet
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut 1/2-inch off the top of each apple and reserve.
2. Using a paring knife and spoon, core and hollow out each apple, leaving 1/2-inch of flesh around the sides and bottom. (Note: Avoid poking holes in the apples, or cutting through the bottom, since that will cause the apple juice to leak out later.) Arrange apples in a 9x13-inch baking dish.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together raisins, millet and lemon juice and zest.
4. Divide millet mixture among apples, pour 3 tablespoons apple juice into each apple and arrange reserved apple tops on each.
5. Cover the dish snugly with foil and bake until apples are very tender and millet has absorbed all the liquid, 45 to 50 minutes.
6. Serve warm, or make ahead and serve cold.
Per Serving: Serving size: 1 apple, 290 calories (15 from fat), 1.5g total fat, 10mg sodium, 71gcarbohydrates, (8 g dietary fiber, 40g sugar), 4g protein.
Recipe courtesy of Whole Foods Market.
What will the dietitian and I talk about during a nutrition assessment?
What is Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT)?