Physical Activities for Kids
Wondering how to keep your kids entertained AND active during COVID-19? The activities we’ve listed below are fun for kids… and the whole family! Let us know which ones you try!
Indoor Activities for Kids
- Freeze Dance. Turn on your favorite music with your kids and get moving with this fun and interactive indoor exercise option.
- Indoor Hopscotch. Using tape or rope, set up an indoor hopscotch adventure in your hallway or living room.
- Dance Along. There are many free online videos that teach kids dances to some of their favorite songs! KIDZBOP and GoNoodle on YouTube have fun “dance-alongs” that are easy to follow (see resources below).
- Jump the river. An easy game, using a ruler and a couple of pieces of string: spread the strings just one inch apart. Encourage each kid to “jump over the river.” Now widen the river by an inch each time.
- Indoor Scavenger Hunt. Make 3 columns on a board starting with the letter A (work from A-Z) and go around your home looking for the letters or words that start with these letters.
- Practicing mindful movement will help kids to release stress and anxiety during this trying time. Checkout Cosmic Kids Yoga on YouTube.
Challenge Game. Challenge your kids to do a certain activity XX number of times in XX number of minutes inside the house (example: jumping jacks). Can be done outside too.
- Hula Hoop. If you happen to have this item around, it is a great way to get your kids moving either inside or outside.
Outside Activities for Kids:
- Social Distance Family Walk. After meals, take your kids out for a safely distanced walk. Take different routes, and/or try to walk a little further each time.
- Relay Races. Set up a contactless relay race against your child or as a friendly competition between siblings.
- Try a game of contactless soccer or simply pass a ball back and forth.
- Leap Frog Races. Challenge your kids to an all-fours race to get their heart pumping.
- Safe Bike Ride. If possible, go for family bike ride for fun and exercise at the same time.
Resources for Additional Ideas:
- GoNoodle.com has physical activity ideas that can be executed in a small space
- YouTube: KIDZBOP Fitness, GoNoodle Fresh Start Fitness, GoNoodle Guided Dancing, Cosmic Kids Yoga, PopSugar Fitness Family Workout, Zumba Kids
- YMCA at Home has virtual workouts and family fitness ideas