This sweet and savory winter dish is one way to keep warm in the colder months! Cozy up to a bowl of tender braised beef topped with cherries, and reap the benefits of a comforting, nutritious meal.
The protein from the stew meat, fat from the olive oil, and carbohydrates from the flour and cherries work together to promote fullness. Not to mention, the aromatic onions and garlic add a rich, well-rounded flavor finish. When grocery shopping, opt for grass-fed beef, or low-fat cuts of meat to maximize nutritional quality!
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 2-inch cubes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup dried cherries, unsweetened
- 3 cups beef stock, homemade or low sodium canned
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Mix flour, salt, and pepper
- Place pot over medium-high heat, toss beef in seasoned flour. Pat off any excess flour.
- Add oil to pan. Working in batches, brown beef on all sides. Set beef aside.
- Add onions to pan, season with pinch salt and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and stir.
- Deglaze with red wine and reduce by half. Add stock, beef, cherries, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook until beef is tender– around 1 1/2 hours.
Serve this delicious stew with crusty bread!